Therapy of Bladder Infection
Treatment of bladder infections requires a complex approach and proper medical examinations and tests. MediClin Staufendurg Klinik provides comprehensive treatment of various bladder infections in hospital’s walls and on outpatient basis.
Tests and diagnosis of urinary tract infections (UTI)
In MediClin, specialists will make a full spectrum of medical tests to define the type of urinary tract infection:
- Analysis of urine sample in laboratory is performed to look for bacteria, white and red blood cells. Before providing your sample, you need to clean your genital area with an antiseptic pad.
- Cultivation of urinary tract bacteria in laboratory will show what kind of bacteria might have caused the infection, and which medications will be suitable.
- Taking an image of urinary tract. If a patient has frequent bladder infections, a doctor may suspect that there are some abnormalities in his or her urinary tract. Ultrasound, CT scan or MRI may show the insides of patient’s body and possible tumors, damage or lumps. MediClin specialists can also use a contrast dye to see the structure of the bladder better.
- Patients with recurrent bladder infections are recommended to go through a cystoscopy – a procedure when a thin long tube with a camera is inserted into patient’s urethra and bladder. It allows getting a detailed and precise picture.
First and foremost, antibiotics are administered for treatment of bladder infections. The type of medication depends on the bacteria that have caused it. Drugs commonly used for simple infections are:
- Trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole;
As a rule, symptoms relieve within a couple of days of treatment, but intake should last for a week or even more. Drink the entire course of antibiotics as prescribed by your doctor. For non-complicated infections, MediClin doctors recommend shorter courses (1-3 days). It depends on the symptoms and medical history.
To reduce burning and pain during urinating, you may be prescribed pain medications that contain numbing agents affecting bladder and urethra. Such drugs have one side effect – they color urine in red or orange. For frequent infections, MediClin doctors advise taking antibiotics with a lower dose for six months or more. They teach patients self-diagnosis, but in case of questions and concerns, you may always contact our health specialists. Postmenopausal women are recommended vaginal estrogen therapy. Severe urinary tract infections are treated with intravenous antibiotics injected in MediClin hospital.
Doctors in MediClin provide counseling concerning bladder infection therapy and teach patients to care about themselves when going through treatment and recovery. The recommendations are the following:
- Abstain from having sex.
- Drink more water and exclude alcohol, caffeine and spicy dishes from your diet.
- Use pain killers.
- Spend 15-20 minutes a day in a warm bath.
- Apply a heating pad on the lower belly. It will reduce pressure on bladder and help to relax muscles.
- Wear loose casual clothes that allow skin to breathe and prevent the bacteria from gathering in urinary tract.
Some suggest drinking cranberry juice for preventing and treating bladder infections, but it’s help is not clinically proven.
Since some bladder infections are caused by sexual activity, you should abstain from intercourse during treatment. Otherwise, it will make the condition worse. Alternatively, both patient and his or her partner can take antibiotics after sex – it will reduce the risk of contamination. Urinate after sex to get rid of bacteria that might have collected in urinary tract.
Doctors in MediClin hospital recommend patients with bladder infections to urinate frequently. This way, you won’t let bacteria and germs gather and multiply in urinary tract. To help you urinate, drink a lot of fluids and visit bathroom whenever needed.
Let MediClin professionals help you
No matter what kind of bladder infection you have, MediClin staff is ready to help you. We provide different types of therapies including antibiotic and injections. Using multidisciplinary approach our doctors manage to make the right diagnosis and figure out suitable treatment options. Besides, our psychologists and health professionals provide encouragement and support.
With overall care, MediClin patients manage to deal with bladder infections quickly and without stress. We help both physically and psychologically. Your health and well-being is our primary goal, so you can always count on our specialists.